29 Jan We are hiring!
Location: Central African Republic
Duration: 2 Weeks in CAR / Dates TBD in April, 2018
Novo is an incubator for art and technology that inspirits human connection in imaginative ways. We build creative solutions to some of the world’s seemingly insurmountable challenges.
Novo is seeking a research assistant to assist the Lead Researcher to carry out a field experiment in Central African Republic to investigate the efficacy of Virtual Reality to reduce prejudice. The field experiment is a social psychology investigation supported by the University of Cambridge and Google Daydream Impact.
This position will have limited supervisory responsibilities.
DUTY, TASK, FUNCTION
Key Result Area – Field Experiment
- Identify and compile lists of potential research subjects in accordance with study objectives and parameters, as appropriate to the individual position.
- Assist Lead Researcher to train all facilitators to use VR headsets.
- Assist Lead Researcher to enter all data from pretest, post-test and final test measures into excel.
- Review and edit data to ensure completeness and accuracy of information; follow up with subjects to resolve problems or clarify data collected.
- May set-up, calibrate and maintain VR headsets/ field research equipment, as specified by the requirements of the study.
- Assist Lead Researcher to manage participant selection, liaising with facilitation team
- Oversee experimental conditions with Lead Researcher, on-hand for any questions or concerns from facilitation team.
- Manage project budget.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty/function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree or current psychology undergraduate student;
- Experience in Central/West/East Africa desired but not required;
- Competency in French desired;
- Experience working in remote, potentially dangerous areas;
- Experience assisting projects;
- Experience in psychological research desired;
- Data collection and management experience;
- Exceptional ability in written and oral communications;
- Demonstrated ability to develop effective working relationships;
- Demonstrated ability to be organized in chaotic environments; and
- Ability to work with interdependently with people in a team-oriented environment.
- Extremely high attention to and passion for details;
- Extraordinary organization skills;
- Disciplined with priorities;
- Strong desire and ability to perform routine tasks and manage processes;
- Professional demeanor and written and oral communications;
- Effective as a team player;
- Self-starter with strong initiative;
- Adept at providing quality customer-service to a variety of constituencies;
- Personable and winsome with internal and external audiences; and
- Committed to human rights issues nd using media to create change for humanity.
- This is a stipend-based position;
- All travel expenses and on-the-ground costs will be covered;
- Position reports to the Lead Researcher ; and
- Applications accepted until the position is filled.
Application closes Feb 19th, 2018